The Writing Center is now closed. We will reopen in June for the summer sessions.
What is the Writing Center?
We offer free peer tutoring to all enrolled students. Trained graduate and undergraduate student tutors will assist you at any stage of your writing process, from initial brainstorming to final revisions. Tutors will help you improve your own critical thinking, revision, and editing skills; we won’t proofread your paper for you.
How should I prepare?
- Schedule an appointment at least 2-3 days before your paper is due
- Decide what you want to address during your session
- Bring copies of the draft and assignment sheet or prompt
- Bring any feedback you’ve received as well as additional notes, resources, etc.
What can I expect?
- Watch the video below to learn a little bit about how we work
- Be prepared to participate actively –– to think, write, and talk about your writing
- We are as interested in your long-term development as we are in your paper, so we may ask you to try new writing strategies
Writing Center Policies
- We ask that clients schedule no more than 120 minutes of meetings per week (which can be two 1-hour appointments or four 30-minute appointments)
- We reserve the right to change your assigned tutor
- If you are more than five minutes late, you may forfeit your appointment
- REMINDER: THE WRITING CENTER DOES NOT TUTOR MID-TERM OR TAKE HOME EXAMS
Note to Faculty
Writing Center tutors will give a brief presentation on the Center to your classes. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
After clicking the yellow button and registering, you’ll see an appointment schedule:
- Choose your schedule from the drop-down menu
- Lauinger 217a: Undergraduate, Graduate, or SCS students
- SCS Downtown & SCS Online: SCS students only
- Click an open appointment and sign up
- If the schedule is full, reserve a place on the waitlist: select the clock icon to the left of the date you would like to make an appointment
- Make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled
An appointment guarantees a tutoring time, but you may also drop by the Writing Center (Lauinger 217a) to see if a tutor is free to meet with you.