The Writing Center is now closed. We will reopen in early June for the first summer session.
What is the Writing Center?
We offer free peer tutoring to all enrolled students. Trained graduate and undergraduate students tutors will assist you at any stage of your writing process, from initial brainstorming to final revisions. Tutors will help you improve your own critical thinking, revision, and editing skills. We won’t proofread your paper for you.
How Should I Prepare?
- Ideally, schedule an appointment at least 2-3 days before your paper is due
- Decide what you want to address during your session
- If you’re working on a draft, bring two copies
- Bring the assignment sheet/prompt
- To discuss feedback you’ve received, bring a copy of the comments
- Bring any notes, drafts, assigned text, or research material
What Can I Expect?
- Take a look at the video below to learn a little bit about how we work
- At the start of the session we’ll ask for your input
- Be prepared to participate actively –– to think, write, and talk about your writing
- We will treat you with respect and respond to your concerns
- We are as interested in your long-term development as we are in your paper, so we may ask you to try a new strategy
Writing Center Policies
- In fairness to others, we ask that clients schedule no more than 120 minutes of meetings per week (which can be 2 1-hour appointments or 4 30-minute appointments)
- Undergraduate students should, ideally, use the undergraduate schedule and graduate and SCS students should, ideally, use the graduate and SCS schedules; if however, you cannot find a time on your preferred schedule, you may make an appointment on another schedule that has free slots
- While the Writing Center guarantees you an appointment at your chosen time, we reserve the right to change your assigned tutor
- Clients who are more than five minutes late for an appointment may forfeit their appointment if other clients are waiting for a session
- REMINDER: THE WRITING CENTER DOES NOT TUTOR MID-TERM OR TAKE HOME EXAMS
Note to Faculty
Writing Center tutors will give a brief presentation on the Center to your classes. Just send an email to email@example.com
After clicking the yellow button and registering, you’ll see an appointment schedule:
- Choose your schedule from the drop-down menu: undergraduate, graduate & SCS Lauinger, SCS online, or SCS downtown
- Click an open appointment and sign up
- If there’s no availability, sign up on the wait list
- Make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled
(Online Nursing students email onlinenursingwriting@