The Writing Center will open on June 5 for summer tutoring hours. Appointments will run from Monday through Thursdays, and we will offer in-person and online sessions until August 11. Check out our schedule and make an appointment!
After clicking the yellow button and registering, you’ll see an appointment schedule:
- Choose your schedule from the drop-down menu
- In-person Tutoring: Lauinger 217a Undergraduate, Graduate, or SCS students
- Online Tutoring:Undergraduate, Graduate, or SCS students
- Click an open appointment and sign up
- If the schedule is full, reserve a place on the waitlist: select the clock icon to the left of the date you would like to make an appointment
- Make sure your pop-up blocker is disabled
An appointment guarantees a tutoring time, but you may also drop by the Writing Center (Lauinger 217a) to see if a tutor is free to meet with you.
What is the Writing Center?
We offer free peer tutoring to all enrolled students. Trained graduate and undergraduate student tutors will assist you at any stage of your writing process, from initial brainstorming to final revisions. Tutors will help you improve your own critical thinking, revision, and editing skills; we won’t proofread your paper for you.
How should I prepare?
- Try to schedule your appointment at least 2 days before your paper is due
- Decide what you want to address during your session
- Bring digital or print copies of the draft as well as the assignment sheet or prompt
- Bring any feedback you’ve received as well as additional notes, resources, etc.
What can I expect?
- Be prepared to participate actively –– to think, write, and talk about your writing
- We are as interested in your long-term development as we are in your paper, so we may ask you to try new writing strategies
- Watch the video below to learn more
Writing Center Policies
- We ask that clients schedule no more than 120 minutes of meetings per week (which can be two 1-hour appointments or four 30-minute appointments)
- We reserve the right to change your assigned tutor
- If you are more than five minutes late, you may forfeit your appointment
- REMINDER: We cannot tutor mid-term or take-home exams unless your professor gives us permission in writing.
Contact David Lipscomb, Director of the Writing Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note to Faculty
Writing Center tutors will give a brief presentation on the Center to your classes. Just send an email to email@example.com.